Nothing says winter like the holidays, but who wants to wait that long? On December 4, 2016, 250 skiers and snowboarders, clad in their best Santa suits, will careen down the slopes of South Ridge for the 17th Annual Santa Sunday.
In the spirit of the season, all proceeds go to the Sunday River Community Fund (SRCF), a donor-advised fund dedicated to improving the quality of life in the area surrounding the resort. In 2015 alone, SRCF allocated donations to the Bryant Pond Learning Center, the Town of Bethel Recreation Department, the Androscoggin River Watershed Council, the Mahoosuc Pathways, and the Bethel Library Association.
So, how do you get in on this ho-ho-ho-down? Follow these tips:
- Don’t dawdle, Dancer. On Monday, November 28, you’ll want to set an alarm and begin those finger calisthenics. Registration opens at noon, and those 250 coveted spots fill up in as little as three minutes.
- Be fast as Dasher. No, not on the slopes. Go to the Santa Sunday registration page and hit refresh until noon when the link will go live. You’ll receive an email from us if you’ve made the cut.
- Be vigilant, Vixen. Santa has his naughty and nice lists and we have a wait list. If you weren’t quite fast enough, sign up on the Santa Sunday event listing to be next in line should a Santa bow out.
- Get ready like Rudolph. Once you’re in, having the right gear is essential. In addition to your Santa get-up, don’t forget to pack at least $15 in cash. You wouldn’t want to be on the naughty list for forgetting your donation.
- Don it like Donner. Okay, the big day is finally here. Time to suit up as Mr. C and get to the Welcome Center in the South Ridge Lodge between 7:30 and 10:30AM to check-in with a fleet of resort elves that will be looking for your Santa gear and donation.
- Come on, Comet. By 11AM all of the Santas on the nice list will receive their lift tickets, and join together for the annual photo shoot. Then, it’s time to load the sleighs of the South Ridge Express chairlift.
- Book it, Blitzen. Now that you’re up at the top, wait for the signal from Sunday River’s elves before taking off in a sea of Santas down Mixing Bowl trail. It’s quite the sight.
- Pump the brakes, Prancer. Just one more step before you go—it’s time for the elves to replace each Santa’s ticket with a full-day same-day lift ticket. For being so jolly, you’ll also be gifted an additional lift ticket to use by December 21.
- Count it, Cupid. Last year’s event raised over $2,800, and this year will surely bring more.
To dress for success, we’ve made this list, so check it twice. You’ll need…
- One red Santa hat, including a white pom-pom
- One red Santa jacket
- One pair of red Santa pants
- A Santa beard
- A $15 (or more) cash donation for the Sunday River Community Fund.
For more information, visit sundayriver.com.